Property Tax Stabilization
Property Tax Stabilization (Title 36, M.R.S.A. Chapter 908-B)
Certain taxpayers may apply to request the municipality stabilize or freeze the property tax on the individual's homestead.
- The taxpayer filing a request is 65 years of age or older.
- The taxpayer is a permanent resident of the State.
- The taxpayer has owned a Maine homestead for at least 10 years.
- The taxpayer must be eligible for the homestead exemption program.
Proof of Residency (1 or more):
- Receive a homestead property tax exemption.
- File Maine resident income tax return (Form 1040ME)
- Maine ID or driver's license.
- Voter registration.
- Vehicle Registration.
- Hunting/Fishing license.
- December 1 of EACH YEAR that stabilization is requested.
- Failure to file an application will result in loss of the stabilized amount.
How to File:
Completed applications, with proof of age and residency, can be submitted to the Assessor's Office.