Property Tax Stabilization

Property Tax Stabilization (Title 36, M.R.S.A. Chapter 908-B)

Certain taxpayers may apply to request the municipality stabilize or freeze the property tax on the individual's homestead.

Taxpayer Eligibility:

  1. The taxpayer filing a request is 65 years of age or older.
  2. The taxpayer is a permanent resident of the State.
  3. The taxpayer has owned a Maine homestead for at least 10 years.
  4. The taxpayer must be eligible for the homestead exemption program.

Proof of Residency (1 or more):

  • Receive a homestead property tax exemption.
  • File Maine resident income tax return (Form 1040ME)
  • Maine ID or driver's license.
  • Voter registration.
  • Vehicle Registration.
  • Hunting/Fishing license.

Filing Deadline:

  • December 1 of EACH YEAR that stabilization is requested.
  • Failure to file an application will result in loss of the stabilized amount.

How to File:

Completed applications, with proof of age and residency, can be submitted to the Assessor's Office.

Helpful Links: