Residential Building Permit Information

A Building Permit is Needed for the Following Activities:
  • A permit is needed for all structures over 100 square feet outside the shoreland zone and all structures inside the shoreland zone.
  • Additions to a structure
  • Deck / Porch - Replacing deck boards does not require a permit however replacing any structural boards will.
  • Demolition
  • Driveway Entrance (street location will determine if the permit is issued by Maine DOT or the Town of Waldoboro, contact the Code Enforcement Officer if you need assistance)
  • Floats / Docks (also requires Shoreland Zoning permit)
  • Parking lots
  • Renovations (Involving anything structural)
  • Signs (temporary and permanent, see Land Use Ordinance for a list of exceptions)
  • Solar Install (roof or ground mount)
  • Swimming pools over 24" deep 
  • Towers and tower fixtures
  • Heat Pump Installation
  • Change of use / Home occupation (May require an inspection)
  • Short term rental (permit and inspection may be required)
Activities That do not Need a Permit
  • One-story detached accessory structures, provided that the floor area is less than 100 square feet total.
  • Fences not over 6 feet high. Road setbacks may apply.
  • Retaining walls outside the shoreland zone that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
  • Swings and other playground equipment. (an enclosed playhouse or treehouse are treated as a structure).
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Decks less than 100 square feet in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by IRC Section R311.4 Vertical Egress.
  • Re-siding
  • Re-Shingling a roofing (changes or replacement of structural members requires a permit).
  • Replacing windows (same size, no structural changes)
How Long Does it Take to Get a Permit
  • We will do our best to meet your schedule. Generally, we can issue a permit within 1 - 4 working days if we have all the required information.
How long is a Building Permit good for:
  • Work must be started within 180 days after the issuance of the permit
  • The permit will expire if the work is not complete within two (2) years from the date it was issued
  • Work on the project should not continue after the two (2) year period without obtaining a new permit
Information Needed on a Building Permit Application
  • A plot plan, or sketch of the lot, showing distance to property lines, other structures, water source, and sewerage disposal system will be necessary
  • Residential structures require plan drawings for footing & foundation, floor plans with dimensions, Insulation plan, and mechanical plan. 
  • There may be other permits or approvals needed by the town, or from State Agencies (i.e. Department of Environmental Protection, Septic design, Planning Board, Public Works, or State Fire Marshal) prior to, during, or after issuance of a building permit by the code office
Electrical Permits
  • Electrical permits are handled through the State. The Town of Waldoboro does not issue or inspect electrical work.
  • The work must meet State Electrical Requirements and be inspected by either a Master Electrician, a person licensed to wire homes, or a State Inspector before CMP will provide power
Plumbing Permits
  • Plumbing permits are required for any type of plumbing. All work work must be inspected for code compliance by the Town's Licensed Plumbing Inspector (LPI)
Subsurface Wastewater Permits (designs)
  • Subsurface wastewater permits require an HHE form from the State. All except the replacement tank permit requires a septic design from a licensed Site Evaluator.
Installing Fences
  • A permit is not needed to install a fence. However, there are setback requirements from the road centerline. These requirements vary depending on the street and location.  The road right of way is larger than the paved road surface, so do not assume that you own to the pavement.
  • We do suggest that you know where your property lines are so that you do not build a fence, either on your neighbor's property, or within the road right of way. 
Codes Used in the Town of Waldoboro
  • National Electrical Code, (NEC) published by the National Fire Protection Association (State)
  • NFPA 101 Life Safety Code, published by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
  • The Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code (MUBEC)
  • Waldoboro Land Use Ordinance
  • State and Federal regulations
Other Approvals or Permits that may be needed
  • Planning Board, or Board of Appeals
  • Shoreland zone, Flood plain
  • DEP permit if the project is near water, wetlands, etc.
Required Inspections
  • Subsurface Wastewater Disposal System inspection when the lowest part of the filter bed is prepared and at the top of the installed devices
  • Any and all inspections required in MUBEC Building and Energy codes
  • Any internal plumbing will have an air or water test in place when roughed in. Final inspection when construction and plumbing is complete
  • Certificate of occupancy inspection. Showing this meets NFPA 101, MUBEC codes, Local ordinances, and Plumbing Codes