General Winter Information
Things you can do to help the Public Works Department this winter:
- Make certain your vehicle is ready for winter driving and do not drive in winter storms unless absolutely necessary.
- Reduce your speed. This is the #1 cause of winter accidents.
- Please do not park in the roadway or shoulder area during a storm. This allows our plows to clear the area the first time through without having to return to clean it up later. Remember, parking on town roads from 12 midnight to 7 a.m. is prohibited from November 15th to April 1st and anytime during a storm cars can and have been towed from the streets if they interfere with our work. Also, please do not place any rocks, marker posts, or similar obstructions within 4 feet of the roads edge. We need to plow out this area for drainage and space to put snow for future storms.
- Do not shovel, snow blow, or have your driveway plowed into or across the road. This is prohibited by law and can cause a serious traffic hazard. If possible, it is best to place snow on the side opposite from which the plow is coming. That way the plow will carry snow away from your driveway rather than back into it.
- If possible, wait until the highway has been plowed before cleaning out the end of your driveway. There is no practical way to plow the highway without depositing snow into your driveway. Please understand the Town cannot go back and shovel or plow out the end of any private driveway.
- Remove basketball hoops , fences, and any other obstruction from the Town’s right-of-way.
- Finally, please be patient. Whether it’s your driveway that you are responsible for or the 83 road miles that the Town is responsible for, snow removal is an arduous and time consuming job. If a storm is of long duration, we are a small organization with limited reserves and the workers continue around the clock until the job is done. We strive for the safest streets and roads at a reasonable cost in the shortest period of time.