Phone 207-832-5369 extension 6
The Town Meeting/Select Board/Town Manager form of local government combines the strong political leadership of elected officials in the form of a Select Board with the strong managerial experience of an appointed local government manager. The Town Manager’s position is appointed by the Select Board. The Town Manager appoints and manages all other town department heads.
The Town Manager is the chief executive and administrative officer of the town. The manager’s primary responsibilities include providing and maintaining the essential town services through the efficient and effective management and operation of the town under the direction of the Select Board. The Town Manager executes the policy direction set by the Select Board.
In addition, the manager assumes responsibility for:
- Preparing and administering the annual budget
- Directing day-to-day operations
- Hiring, supervising, evaluating and disciplining personnel under his/her authority
- Developing and administering town policies and procedures
- Recommending policies or programs to the Select Board
- Attending meetings
- Ensuring citizen complaints are handled in a timely and professional manner
- Representing the town and serves and liaison of a variety of boards, organizations, committees and commissions