PRIMARY & TOWN MEETING DATE IS NOW JULY 14TH POLLS WILL BE OPEN 8AM-8 PM AT THE TOWN OFFICE
Before the wedding:
- Where you get your license:
- If you both reside in Maine and live in the same town - From the town clerk of the town you reside in.
- If you both reside in Maine but live in different towns - From the town clerk of either town.
- If one of you reside in Maine but the other does not - From the town clerk of the Maine resident.
- If neither of you are a Maine resident - From any town clerk in the State of Maine.
- Licenses are issued - As soon as the application is filled out and and signed by the town clerk.
- Where you may marry - Anywhere in the State of Maine.
- Identification: You must present your current photo ID's with a physical description of yourselves (such as a driver's license). This must also be presented to the person who marries you.
- Cost - $40.00
- Valid for - 90 days from the date they are issued. The marriage must occur within that period or another license must be obtained.
- A certified copy of a divorce decree or a death certificate is needed for those who have been previously married.
- Number needed - 2
- Age requirements - Do not have to be of any specific age but must be able to understand the seriousness of a wedding.
- Purpose - Must witness the ceremony and sign the license.
- Signing of the license - By the witnesses.
- Possession of the license - The person who marries you will then sign and return the license to the town clerk, where the license was obtained, within 7 days.
- Certificate of marriage - A momento certificate may be given by the person who marries you, but the LEGAL certificate must be obtained from the town clerk where the license was obtained.
- Cost of legal certificate - $15.00